Self led Walking Holidays in Cornwall
Self led walking holidays are the best way to see Cornwall at your own pace. No strangers, no timetable and nothing to organise apart from your meals.
If you enjoy walking independently with the freedom to stop for a break where and when you like and want to concentrate on the fantastic scenery, this is the holiday for you.
What is a self led walking holiday?
You walk alone or in your own group (no guide) and we organize the holiday. There is no need to worry about choosing and booking your accommodation, carrying heavy backpacks, selecting the best route or buying maps. We take care of everything so that you can concentrate on enjoying what you came for, the beautiful Cornish landscapes. We even offer transfers at the beginning and end of your walk, making this the best way to walk the Cornwall coast path.
If you prefer to organize your own Cornwall coast path walking holiday but don’t want to be weighed down with bags, we also offer a baggage transfer service.
How do they work?
We book your accommodation, provide you with a detailed information pack containing maps, routes, local information and our own restaurant recommendations, transfer your luggage and plan all of the details.
1. We find out what kind of walking holiday you are interested in (coast path, moors, towns and villages – see our suggested itineraries for a few ideas), how long you want to stay (from an easy 3 day walking holiday in Cornwall to two hundred miles in two weeks) and when you would like to come.
2. We come up with a Cornwall walking holiday itinerary based on what you want to see and how far you want to walk each day.
3. We book your accommodation in our favourite B&B’s and hotels on your route and arrange your arrival and departure transfers.
4. You arrive in West Cornwall, we meet you at the train station/ car park, hand over your maps and information pack, give you a briefing and take you to your first night's accommodation.
5. The next morning you leave your bags at the B&B and following the details in your information pack, walk on to the next stop over (where your baggage will be waiting - 20kg limit per bag please). You then visit a nearby restaurant (we offer recommendations).
6. The next day you head out after breakfast and enjoy more of the same.
7. Every day we transfer your baggage to the next night’s accommodation.
8. At the tour end we transfer you back to your car/ train station.
Where we operate
We offer Cornwall coast path walking holidays west of Padstow on the north coast and west of Falmouth on the south coast.
Western Discoveries is based on the Lands End peninsula, just north of Penzance and it is in this region that we offer most of our Cornwall walking holidays. We have an intimate knowledge of the area, its intricacies and temperaments and also consider it to be the most beautiful in Cornwall.
Most people choose to walk the Cornwall coast path but we also encourage you to explore the West Penwith moors when passing through this region (perfect if you opt for a 5 day to one week walking holiday in Cornwall).
In this region you will find all of the ecologies and features that have made Cornwall famous, with the added bonus of a wilder and more distant feel than is present in East and North Cornwall. The high cliffs and tumbled granite blocks of the north coast give way to quiet, delicate coves on the south coast, with large stretches of beautiful unspoilt moorland in between. The Lands End peninsula contains more stone monuments than anywhere else in the county and the Camborne/Redruth region is at the centre of Cornish mining heritage.
If you are looking for a self led walking holiday in Cornwall, the beauty of West Cornwall more than compensates for the short time extra that you will spend travelling to reach the region.
All of our walking holidays in Cornwall are designed to suit you as an individual. If you want a fast paced walk and simple accommodation, we can do that. If you want a relaxing walk and a comfortable hotel, we can do that too. In general we find that most walkers want a little comfort at night, a good restaurant with hearty food and cosy atmosphere and a welcoming pub to stop off in along the way. So here we have listed what is included in many customers preferred options.
We are walkers ourselves and we know that at the end of a long day you want a warm welcome and a comfortable bed. That is why we use B&Bs, hotels and guesthouses that we have carefully selected and importantly, visited ourselves. These are chosen for their access from our walking routes, their quality and their friendly atmosphere. They are typically family run, have en-suite rooms and a relaxed atmosphere.
For single walkers we tend to provide single or twin rooms. You must let us know in advance if you are a single walker and require a double bed.
The preferred option for many walkers is bed and breakfast. This is typically full English or continental and is provided in the accommodation. We can organize packed lunches through your guesthouse/hotel but many customers prefer to stop en route and enjoy our suggested pubs and cafes (or even prepare their own packed lunches).
Information Pack (one per couple)
At the start of your holiday, you will receive an information pack with everything you need for a problem free, enjoyable self led walking holiday in Cornwall.
- Maps showing your route and details of the region.
- A guide to the walk, including points of interest, route description and general information.
- A daily itinerary with distances, directions, accommodation details and directions, restaurant/pub/cafe suggestions.
- A list of contacts for emergencies and change of plans.
Every day that you walk we will transfer your bags between B&Bs. Please note that the prices are based on transferring 2 bags per couple and a 20kg limit per bag. If you really need to bring more than this, please let us know in advance as a supplement may apply.
Like the look? This is from our 3 day walking holiday in Cornwall from St Ives to Porthcurno.
For a one week walking holiday in Cornwall try St Ives to Lizard Head
Taken on our 5 day walking holiday in Cornwall from St Ives to Porthcothan
Cornwall Online has a good selection of walks and maps for independent walkers.
Cornwall Holiday - Links to Cornwall holiday sites including accommodation, attractions, activities, along with town and village information. Great if you are walking the Cornwall coast path or just want to visit the region.
Mount Haven Hotel at Marazion is a romantic luxury boutique hotel. If you are organizing you own Cornwall coast path walking holiday, why not stay in luxury?